Saturday, May 14, 2005

Highlanders must be gutted

You know how I said this was a must win for the Highlanders, and that they were favourites to win?

Well, they just lost. In style.

Chiefs got a score in the 30s and Highlanders ended up on something like 8.

Makes you feel kind of sad actually. I mean, the Chiefs still have no chance of getting into the semis so didn't really gain anything. As for the Highlanders, they've blown their chances completely. Anyway, thats enough rugby commentary for this blog....

As for the corporate box, it was much smaller than I expected it to be. Harder to find than I thought it would be too! I thought it would be marked out with a grand golden arch or something. Instead it took me about 1/2 an hour to find the place. When I got there it was populated by middle aged men and women I had never seen before! So, I had to pretend to be interested in the pictures of the Clarke brothers on the wall until Andrew Vercoe arrived.

Soon Councillors Mahood and Bos arrived too. Pippa Mahood was very nice and said hello, which was very cool. Ngawai was also fashionably late.

The highlight was undoubtedly the free booze. Strangely though, Lion Red & Steinlager were the only brands available. Yet Waikato was the major sponsor of the stadium and game. I'm not too worried though, ANY brand is an improvement on Waikato.

On the food front, I had already eaten so didn't have much appetite for the sandwiches on offer. I couldn't risk there being no food available at the box, so chose to stock up before the game!

Anyway, the stadium is definitely a new experience. Rugby can get quite tense sometimes. I didn't really have too much attachment to the game, but still found myself cheering. For anybody who knows me and my attitude to rugby.. THAT is truly amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home