Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Things are about to get a little bit crazy around here....

I have approximately 15hrs until I'm due for check-in at Auckland Airport... and a marathon 45 hours away from the Spain. I'm glad too... I am truly sick and tired of every 2nd person at University telling me that I absolutely HAVE to go see Sagrada Familia, try every form of alcohol the Spanish have ever invented, and bring some Spanish women back with me.

The SIFE group have split in two for the first leg. Katherine, Jake, Asher, & Nicola are flying Emirates via Dubai (I txted Katherine just now to tell her to get me some 'bling' while she's there) and they'll be arriving a few days early. Patrick, Sajjad, & the presenters (Tamie, Ben, Hayley & myself) will be flying Qantas via Sydney, Singapore & Frankfurt. Ironically, we will spend more time in Frankfurt on this trip than we did last year when Frankfurt was our final destination!!

However, with all the commotion around sampling the various alcohols of Spain & Germany (I would say Singapore but given that they ban the chewing of gum I'm not quite sure what their reaction to alcohol consumption would be), nobody's losing sight of the fact that we're travelling to Spain to represent New Zealand. More importantly, we're representing a 24-member strong SIFE team most of whom are happy to stay behind. None of us would be here today if it wasn't for them. Being part of SIFE Waikato 2003 was amazing, but this year's team has simply blown me away. All 24 of them are hard-working and creative individuals who have created real change in their communities. Some people spend their entire lives trying to change the world, these people did it in just under a year.

Which reminds me of a quote from last year. After viewing our presentation at last year's Sustainable Enterprise Forum Rod Oram remarked "I don't know about you, but after seeing that I feel a lot more optimistic about being able to collect my super in a few years time.."

If that was true of last year's team it is even more true of this years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home